Wednesday, May 15, 2013


#10         Shamelessly Plugging My First Textbook      May 15, 2013

     My first published book just hit the stands (or would have hit the stands if there was such a thing as a bookstore anymore) this week, so I thought you the reader wouldn’t feel it was too inappropriate to shamelessly plug my baby “Adaptive Radiography with Trauma, Image Critique and Critical Thinking”.
     As some of you might know, I spent all of 2010 as the Subject Matter Expert (SME), writing and outlining the chapters and choosing the images for an Anatomy and Positioning Textbook for Lippincott, Wilkins and Williams.  At the end of the year the project was cancelled and so were my dreams of being a published author.
     A few months later I met an old acquaintance of mine, Quinn Carroll, who had just finished writing the first ever physics book for digital radiology– “Radiography in the Digital Age”.  In addition to his physics book masterpiece, he had also been writing a positioning book that would have all the “tricks of the trade” in it.  Or in other words, everything that is not in Merrill’s and Bontrager.  Those two books show how to position the average patient where our adaptive radiography book was created to show how to position someone who for whatever reason cannot move or be moved into that position.  Hence, you now need to adapt.
     When we met, his editor had just told him that he needed a lot more positioning tips and tricks, but he had written everything he knew.  So he offered me co-authorship of the book and I was back in saddle once again!!
     So I started putting together all of my information and Quinn rewrote the text to it.  For the next 6 months we kept this up and by the summer of 2012 we had the book finished.  Of course that is just step one in the long process that takes a finished manuscript and turns it into a book ready to be sold.  There were peer reviews, rewrites, artwork, etc…  So here we are just under a year later and the book is available for sale!!
     If you have already surveyed my website, you know that I have a section on the bottom menu bar called Adaptive Radiography.  If you’re interested in finding out more about the book, here is the place to do that:  http://digitalradiographysolutions.com/AdptRad.html


No comments:

Post a Comment